Monday, July 18, 2016

Why I will take earbuds to poetry readings from now on.

I was at a poetry reading in Ybor City recently, right after going to a Black Lives Matter demonstration/march. At this event, a "Christian Rapper" got onstage and basically preached to the audience while feebly simulating rap. The last performer did undisguised far-right propaganda that rhymed somewhat.
Both lacked any semblance of creativity or grace. They were obvious propagandist political operatives (or lone nuts). Tampa is at the end of the I-4 corridor, birthplace of the Tea Party and a conservative hotspot. I know these things are open to the public, and there's no way to exclude them, which is why I will be bringing my earbuds so I can listen to music and block these people out.
When I want to be preached to, I'll choose a church. For political right-wing propaganda. I'll turn FOX News on.

--- Luis

No comments:

Post a Comment