Sunday, May 13, 2012

Salt Creek Closes

I just received an e-mail from a trusted friend saying:  "I am sure you have heard about the sudden closing of Salt Creek Artworks.". No, I had not, and it comes as not unexpected, yet terrible news. The official closing date is Juy 1st.

In a recent review I wrote: "Salt Creek Artworks is one of the pillars of the St. Petersburg Art community. It is a beautiful exhibition space in a prime location, easily accessible from the downtown area, housing the studios of a wide variety and number of artists. Headed by Pat Burgess for about seven years, and her parents before that, the space has been a haven for art and artists for nineteen years. Only a handful of arts venues in the city have been open that long or longer. Lance Rodgers is the resident curator"

It was all that and more. So many artists and friends. What will happen now? Will the artists scatter? My friend speculates: " I would like to see them be able to put them on Central Ave. (as per the old Cultural Master Plan where First Ave. South, Central Ave. and First Ave. North out to 31 St. would be a creative corridor.) but they might try to 'warehouse' them all in WAD.) "

To all the artists at Salt Creek, my heart goes out to you. Please e-mail me and let me know what is going on with you, where you will be showing. I will miss and remember Salt Creek, that landmark haven for the arts in St. Pete and great private exhibition space.

 Google: Art Taco Salt Creek to read the many reviews I wrote about the great exhibits there. So long, Salt Creek, and thanks to Pat Burgess and the family for the nineteen years. Hopefully something can be done to move the artists there into a new space.

--- Luis

1 comment:

  1. Wow, so sorry to hear that. Thanks for the info, Luis.

    ReplyDelete