Friday, March 13, 2015

Margaret Couch Cogswell at Michele Tuegel Gallery. Opens March 14th

 Opening this Saturday, March 14 

FEATURE EXHIBIT
MARGARET COUCH COGSWELL
Welcome to My World
 

Alister, 16" x 20" painting with embellished frame

 
NEW PAINTINGS + A PAPER MACHE MENAGERIE 

Exhibit on view through April 18
I met Margaret Couch Cogswell very briefly over the summer of 2010 while she was a resident artist at Penland School. Her work -- small, mixed media sculptures, handmade books, dancing paper crowns, painted objects and delightful, colorful drawings in print -- never left my mind. I can still see her working studio set up for public viewing across campus the evening of the school's traditional 'studio visits'. I've been delighted to carry her collaborative note cards [with her sister; Two Sisters NC] since the gallery's inception; last year introducing her whimsical paintings on tin; and now this wonderful body of new work. The storyteller in Margaret is the thread that binds her diverse mastery of materials and images. Welcome to her world!
  
                                                                        - Michele 

Margaret Couch Cogswell received a BA from Rhodes College, and since that time she has continued her education at Rhode Island School of Design, Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts, and Penland School of Crafts where she was a Resident Artist from 2008 - 2011. 
   
  Red,  Paper mache animal    
  
    
MARGARET COUCH COGSWELL "I'm a storyteller at heart. Over the course of my career I have journeyed from weaving to ceramics, fabric collage, artist books, and painting as a vehicle for my tales. Cloth, thread, paper, color and pattern have been constant connectors. My conviction that our greatest rewards often come from simple, everyday objects and moments is a recurring theme. Communicating with people through the objects I make continues to be the primary and sustaining focus of my work."

                                  
Margaret in her studio; Asheville, NC 

"Welcome to My World"
 opens in conjunction with downtown St. Petersburg's

 
March 14 
5:00 pm - 9:00 pm 
    Join us for the festivities!     
 

No comments:

Post a Comment