Sunday, April 22, 2012

New Arts Magazine: John Revisky's "Eden"

Eden magazine cover
Billing itself as the "Florida Modern Arts Directory", Eden's first Winter issue is out. I received my copy from Mindy Solomon this week. It is a beautiful magazine. The Art Direction is very good, as are the photography and layout. They have a strong style that seems well-suited for the intended market. The paper and print quality are excellent. The word that comes to mind when reading it is "posh".



The magazine has gathered an impressive number of high-end advertisers, most from Sarasota and St. Petersburg. There are the usual number of advertorial articles laced with superlatives, a fashion pictorial, a technology section (!) with an article on a big-screen TV.  In this issue musician John Lichtenstein, gallerist Mindy Solomon and artist Ales Bask Hostomsky are featured. The articles are lavishly illustrated with images of the art involved. At the back of the magazine is a Gallery section with more art pics.

Mindy Solomon in Eden

It is inspiring in these days to see a new magazine of this caliber launch -- and at $7 per issue it is a bargain. I want to welcome Eden to the area arts culture, and wish it well. As I made my rounds last night, at two opening parties I had friends ask me if I had seen this beautiful new arts magazine. Eden is making a refreshing splash in the West Coast of Florida arts scene.

Congratulations to John Revisky and the Eden staff.

--- Luis

1 comment: